The number of women motorcycle riders is on the rise and the manufacturers are beginning to pay attention. According to the latest national survey by the Motorcycle Industry Counsel (MIC) they found that among the age group of women now make up 19% of motorcycle owners compared to 10% ten years ago.
Nearly one in five United States motorcycle owners are now female, compared with one in 10 less than a decade ago, and the data suggests that American women could soon make up one quarter of owners, which would be a major shift in motorcycling demographics, according to the latest national survey by the USA Motorcycle Industry Council.
The survey also found that women owners among younger generations is growing with 26% of motorcycle owners being women. As the number of mature motorcyclists shrink, they are being replaced by new riders and increased number of women.
The surveys also concluded that women are riding the following:
- 34% of female riders
- 33% scooters
- 10% sport bike riders.
Data from this survey also concluded that:
- The median age for female motorcyclists is 39 versus 48 for males.
- More than 49 percent of women motorcyclists do their own maintenance or have a friend or relative do it, instead of taking their bikes to a shop.
- New motorcycles are preferred over used by 57 percent of female riders.
- 49 percent of female motorcyclists are married.
- 47 percent of female motorcyclists have a college or post-graduate degree.
“Today more women are getting off the fender and into the driver’s seat. For many years motorcycle riding has been a male dominated culture. But our brothers on the asphalt are making a lane for us ladies. I didn’t start riding until I was 47. I feel free and incredible joy behind those handle bars. The days of catty behavior being in style are gone. Women need to stand shoulder to shoulder and support one another. Each one bring one. I can’t imagine my life now without a motorcycle.”– Dazzlin, President, Bling Devas, MC
The riding community is also seeing a greater number of women motorcycle clubs such as the Bling Devas, MC and Rebel Queenz. There are women riding groups such as Women in the Wind and Sin City Moto Girls, are expanding and involving their groups in ALL THINGS MOTORCYCLE.
Here in Colorado, a group of ladies have organized a ride on August 24th to attempt to break the world record for the largest number of women riders on a ride. If you are a woman rider and available that day, come out and support this World Record Attempt. The event starts at High Country Harley Davidson at 8am.
August 24 Womens World Record FACTS
If you would like to apart of Colorado history, please join us! All you need to do is pre-register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/colorado-women-ride-world-recordparade-attempt-tickets-57664702678 and meet at High Country Harley Davidson, 3761 Monarch St, Frederick, CO 80516 at 8 a.m.
- If you want to be in a section with your posse, please ride in together because you will immediately be assigned to a section. You can meet each other some where before riding in.
- When you ride in, a traffic coordinator will direct you to where to park and a section lead will inform you of what to do next.
- The parade will start approximately 10 a.m. and once you return, the festivities will begin.
- Angry Steve will be performing on stage from 12 – 3 p.m.
- Team Wildlyfe is a unique group of local fire and LED performers sure to entertain.
- Special Guest: Helen Tornquist, Rolling with Ronda, DJ Jones, Paty Juarez, and Kimberly Chavez
- Trophies will be awarded for Farthest Distance Traveled, Eldest Woman Biker, Youngest Woman Biker, best looking trike, and Most Women Club Members locally and out of state.
- Prayer: Robert Espinosa will be honoring Wind Brother Bret Kerr
- The Unofficial Party will be at Jerry D’s, 604 8th St, Dacono, CO 80514.
More information at www.missbubblesproductions.com.